[IronPython] LINQ in IronPython?

Hernan M Foffani hfoffani at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:39:45 CET 2007

> It would be great to have LINQ in IronPython - but I don't think it can
> be done without extending the Python syntax. Understandably the Python
> community will be concerned about this.
>
> Fortunately Python has a built-in way of enabling (or disabling)
> language features - the __future__ imports.
>
> If you could agree with the Python developers to get a 'reserved' flag
> for LINQ (one that CPython promises never to use) then develoeprs could
> enable LINQ by starting files with:
>
> from __future__ import LINQ

Some time ago I was wondering if it would be possible to have an
object that takes a generator expression and translates its AST
into LINQ expressions (actually, not LINQ extended syntax but
the .NET 3.0 API )

With this approach, of course, you won't be able to get LINQ's
full power inside Python, but I think that staying within Python
syntax is nice.

To be honest I haven't gave it much thought to this so I don't know
if it's possible, or even worth it, at all.

Regards,
-Hernán.