[IronPython] DLR Hosting Spec

Sanghyeon Seo sanxiyn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 07:10:39 CET 2007

2007/11/20, Dino Viehland <dinov at exchange.microsoft.com>:
> We look forward to any feedback you might have!
> You can grab the spec here: http://www.iunknown.com/files/dlr-spec-hosting.pdf

I think there are a lot of things to learn from Java. Java 6
introduced javax.script hosting API.
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/script/package-summary.html

For example, ScriptRuntime corresponds to Java's ScriptEngineManager.
We can compare API to get scripting engine for the given language.

DLR
ScriptEngine GetEngine(string languageId)
ScriptEngine GetEngineByFileExtension(string extension)

javax.script
ScriptEngine getEngineByName(String shortName)
ScriptEngine getEngineByExtension(String extension)
ScriptEngine getEngineByMimeType(String mimeType)

Is getEngineByMimeType a good idea? Similar comparisons can be made
for all other APIs too.

--
Seo Sanghyeon