[IronPython] -X:PreferComDispatch

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Oct 2 22:12:06 CEST 2007

I pinged the dev who's been working on this (he's actually on another team), here's the response I got:

We have not done comprehensive performance tests to find out differences between the two. Some time ago I tried to put a timer into test_cominterop.py where it iterated through an Excel 20x20 table and set values to it. In this test IDispatch-based calls turned out to be a bit faster.

Which of the two is better? IDispatch based implementation requires TypeLibs, while the other approach would need to have Interop Assemblies deployed. So, from this perspective IDispatch-based option is more flexible (although there is still a long road to have full fidelity between the two).