[IronPython] Announcement: Project to get some CPython C extensions running under IronPython

Matt Clinton mclinton at procard.com
Mon Oct 15 17:55:03 CEST 2007

NumPy is largely about speed, and going through extra interop layers can
really bite into that (my $0.02).

I think the suggestion for a smaller module to start with was about
learning about compatibility with a more manageable chunk of code than
the many, many lines of deep number-crunching that NumPy has
accumulated, but maybe a few sections of compatibility there (i.e.
limited part of the API) would be a similarly tractable goal?

Wrapping the plain-C in COM would be a good way to test implementation
compatibility,

if your plan is to ported raw C to C++, so that the DLR/CLR can get some
hooks in and go-quicka:

the COM-wrapped CPy extensions may be faster to develop, if not
performing as quickly,

and if your C++ ports behave the same, you have pretty good confidence.

Along the way, they'll help point out what's the framework and what's
your code, especially if you can run the same test-cases through
straight CPy.

Wrapping all the way back through Mono seems an odd goal - isn't IPy
compatible enough with CPy in source that your business apps would be
light to port back to Cpy-land, if you're on Posix already anyway?

For some purposes, it really makes sense, but a NumPy implementation for
IPy for Mono?

Seem to me that going that deep this soon will make you a valuable
contributor to low-level compatibility testing... but I don't have the
whole picture of where you're going.

If you're going to alloy FePy, would that make a type of SteelPython? -
a happier compound than Rust!

Cheers,

-- Matt