[IronPython] Announcement: Project to get some CPython C extensions running under IronPython

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Mon Oct 15 18:35:13 CEST 2007

On 10/15/07, Giles Thomas <giles.thomas at resolversystems.com> wrote:
> One further question for this list, before I create a repository and mailing list elsewhere for the project - what should the project be called?  The best one we've come up with in-house is "RustPython" (IronPython, *C* extensions, you get the picture) and I'd be really grateful if someone could come up with a less appalling pun...

Ah, naming. My preferred subject. ;)

Ok, you want it to imply a sense of 'old' or 'rough' or 'rotten' or
'crude', and yet have a cool name. Is 'Python' required to be part of
the name?

The first cool name that came to my mind was 'Monera'. It is a cool
name because it refers (mostly) to prokaryotic organisms (organisms
without a nucleus). It also resembles a bit 'Mono', which might be an
useful association (Monera -> Mono, ah, so this is some thing related
to .NET!).

Another idea would be 'OxyPython', since it's the combination of
Oxygen + Iron is that forms Rust. :)

--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214