[IronPython] Using IP with Idle

Allison Day mosterhouse2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 21:36:25 CEST 2007

I have been using python in a unix environment for years and am a complete noob to iron python, windows, and .net as of yesterday  (GAAAACK! says the Linux Guy :-) so please be patient.

I was looking to use Idle with Ironpython but am not sure how to do this or if it can be done.  I saw a reference or two to Idle in the archives, but nothing concrete.  I've set the windows path to:

C:\Program Files\activeTcl\bin;C:\Program Files\MTS 793\ntbin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\MTS Shared;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;c:\IronPython-1.1;

I was reading a few IP articles and they mentioned setting the path, so I tried that and then importing System, but System isn't found.  I don't yet understand the relationship between CPython and IP, so maybe idle can't be used.  I want idle for the editing capabilities and so on that I'm used to using in the unix environment.

So can Idle be used and if not, what else has the formatting that idle does?  One guy here using a regular text editor and runs a batch file, but I'm hoping for a little more interactive environment.  For licensing reasons, visual studio is a not an option for me at the moment but might be in the future.

Again, I'm a complete Noob so forgive me if this question is too easy.   Thanks.

A.D.

http://mail.yahoo.com