[IronPython] dynamic languages and .net 1.0

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Wed Oct 24 15:04:40 CEST 2007

On 10/24/07, David Jensen <davidjensen at usa.net> wrote:

> A small question. I assume .net support for dynamic languages,
> interpreters,
> reflection was not in .net 1.0.   Microsoft started as a compiler company
> and
> I thought Bill Gates was strongly in favor of interpreted languages. I
> thought
> it was odd that Microsoft apparently did not supply interpreted languages
> in
> .net 1.0. Is this because "reflection?" was more difficult to implement or
> were interpreters a lower priority?

Reflection was fully baked in the initial release of .NET.

Microsoft is pretty good at implementing what its customers are asking for,
though obviously they can't achieve instant turnaround.  Don't be misled by
the current popularity of dynamic languages; when the CLR was being designed
ten years ago, it's likely that none of Microsoft's customers was asking for
them.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org