[IronPython] DLR Documentation?

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Sep 24 17:56:53 CEST 2007

Unfortunately we don't have any great sources of documentation.  The way you do any dynamic invocation is usually through a DynamicSite - which is the fastest way to do it.  There's also another way you could do this which is via ScriptEngine.CallObject - which is the simplest way to do it.  Ultimately we're still working on what the end story is for what the best way for doing these operations still from static languages.

So let's look at these two ways.  First we have the DynamicSite.  There's a couple of different forms of DynamicSite's but we'll keep things simple and look at the normal one.  You create a dynamic site like so:

        DynamicSite<object, object, object> ds = DynamicSite<object,object,object>.Create(CallAction.Simple);

This creates a DynamicSite which takes 2 parameters (typed to object) and returns a parameter typed to object.  The DynamicSite will attempt to perform a call operation on the 1st argument passing it the 2nd argument and returning the result.

So then to invoke a site we'd do:

object res = ds.Invoke(codeContext, callableObject, parameter);

The one problem here is where do you get a CodeContext object from?  My best advice to you now is if you're using IronPython objects just use IronPython.Runtime.Calls.DefaultContext.Default which is still public.  Again we're still working on this part of the story :).

So that will let you call something but one thing which is noticeably missing is that we never got "Foo".  That can be done with a GetMemberAction, so we get another site:

DynamicSite<object, object> gmSite = DynamicSite<object, object>.Create(GetMemberAction.Make("Foo"));

Now we combine the two:

object res = ds.Invoke(DefaultContext.Default, gmSite.Invoke(obj), parameter);

and now we've gotten the Foo member and invoked it.  Now the great thing about this is that this one code path will do what you want - it will work w/ a C# object, it will work w/ an IronPython object, and it'll work w/ a Ruby object.

Doing this via ScriptEngine is basically the same thing - except for using site's were calling the SE's methods.  So that becomes

object callable;
If(se.TryGetObjectMemberVariable(obj, "Foo",out callable)) {
        res = se.CallObject(callable, parameter);
}

Hopefully that will get you started.