[IronPython] [python] Re: Object DBs - Zope/Plone vs LINQ?

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Sat Sep 29 01:39:46 CEST 2007

We'll see if we can get implicit typing in there from section B ;)

But seriously, from section B, we are likely to support the extension methods.  In fact we support a form of extension methods today which is how all the Python methods show up on the .NET types today.  And we support it in another form in bringing back the normal .NET methods when you import clr.  Unfortunately we still have some more work to do to converge to the LINQ model (we're very type-based in doing extensions, LINQ is more method base - at least the levels where the attributes are applied).

The expression trees are particularly interesting.  For those who have been paying close attention to the DLR source code you may have noticed that DLR ASTs are remarkably similar to LINQ expression trees - they're pretty much a superset (with enough differences to make converging them non-trivial, but we're trying).  I don't know exactly what that means for LINQ support off the top of my head, but hopefully it makes it easier in some form.

Finally on A I'll just point out that list comprehensions and generator comprehensions map nicely onto LINQ as well.  LINQ supports both a "grab all my results now" mode as well as a "give me an iterable that processes results one at a time".

If you put all of that together we might end up with a decent LINQ story by simply using the language features we already have.  But there's a lot of tricky parts in there such as do we need to carry our AST around, how do we know when we're calling out to something expecting an Expression tree or Func<T*> delegate (no types to help us here like in C#), how do we translate method calls in the list/generator comprehensions, etc...  And I think it's this last bit we haven't figured out (unless Jim or Martin have it all figured out in their heads :) ).