[IronPython] POP3_SSL issue

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Wed Apr 16 21:37:58 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Kar, Sujit <kar at musc.edu> wrote:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File , line 0, in <stdin>##76
>  File c:\python25\lib\poplib.py, line 359, in __init__
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ssl'
>
> If it is an extension module, then does that mean I cannot use IronPython to do this?

In general, IronPython cannot use binary extensions that were created
for Python.  There's a project aimed at overcoming this limitation;
see http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/cpython_extensions.shtml
for more details.  You would probably have get a bit hands-on to make
this work with the _ssl module that's part of CPython.

As I understand it, the goal of IronPython is to provide as much
CPython compatibility as possible, with priorities determined at least
in part by community input.  There doesn't yet appear to be a work
item for SSL support at CodePlex, so maybe you'll want to go to
http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/WorkItem/List.aspx and add it.
Others will then have the opportunity to vote on the work item and
express their support for its implementation.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org