[IronPython] More Performance comparisons - dictionary updates and tuples

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Apr 21 18:48:09 CEST 2008

BTW I did get a chance to look at this and I believe I have solutions for these issues including a new and improved tuple hash.  It is an interesting test case though...

So looking at the scenarios here:
        Tuple create and unpack - we're actually not much slower at the actual tuple create / unpack here, but we are slower.  We can detect the common parallel assignment case and optimize it into temporary variables rather than creating an object array, a tuple, an enumerator for the tuple, and pulling out the individual values.  Once I did that the times seemed comparable.  But switching from a range to an xrange gave IronPython a speed advantage.  So range apparently has more overhead than CPython and with such a small loop it starts to show up.

On the dictionary performance - the new dictionaries really favor reading more than writing.  Previously in 1.x we required locking on both reads and writes to dictionaries.  The new dictionaries are thread safe for 1 writer and multiple readers.  The trade off here is that our resizes are more expensive.  Unfortunately they were particularly more expensive than they needed to be - we would rehash everything on resize.  And update was just copy everything from one dictionary to another, potentially resizing multiple times along the way, doing tons of unnecessary hashing.  It's easy enough to make update pre-allocate the end size and also avoid rehashing all the values.  That gets us competitive again.

The int's also got sped up by this change to the point where they're close to 1.x but they're not quite the same speed.  This seems to mostly come back to the different performance characteristics of our new dictionaries and the resizing issue.

There's probably still some more tuning to be done on our dictionaries over time.  We're also not going to be beating CPython's highly-tuned dictionaries anytime soon but at least we should be much more competitive now.  I haven't got the changes checked in yet but hopefully over the next few days they'll make it in.  Then I might have some more performance info to share as I'll get runs against a large number of tests.