[IronPython] Roadmap and updates

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Tue Aug 5 04:21:37 CEST 2008

The question of Python + ? aside, I think your assessment of Silverlight is missing a couple points.

Yes, Silverlight has been demoed with lots of pretty pictures, but the truth is that Silverlight is, fundamentally, a mini-CLR that runs in the browser (at least, Silverlight 2 certainly is -- I tend to ignore Silverlight 1).  You can use it to write full-blown applications that run client-side, which can retrieve data from a back end.  Don't let the sexy graphical displays obscure that simple, powerful fact.  Consider a web page that has javascript making calls into a GUI-less Silverlight app -- Silverlight then becomes something of a high-speed resource (that is much more useful and powerful than random-ajax-toolkit).

Yes, Silverlight is currently lacking in some basic controls, but those are currently being worked on both by Microsoft as well as third parties.  See, for example:

http://wpfwonderland.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/silverlight-2-beta-2-now-with-more-controls/

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/nipuntomar/DataBindingSilverlightWCFService07152008011652AM/DataBindingSilverlightWCFService.aspx

http://www.infragistics.com/hot/silverlight.aspx#InfragisticsandSilverlight

I feel your pain on XAML -- I'm not the happiest with it, but you don't have to work in XAML if you don't want to.  I'm pretty certain you could (as Petzold's book demonstrates for WPF) work XAML-free.  You could also use the Silverlight tooling available in, for example, Expression.