[IronPython] Creating Excel Add-in with Iron Python

Christian Gross christianhgross at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:34:34 CEST 2008

 >Just starting to get into IronPython and have been poking around for the
last few days; but I'm hoping someone can help. Basically, I want to take
some python (IronPython) code, compile it to a dll (or xll?) and have it
function like an add-in for excel. So, I could code functions in python and
just call them as worksheet functions in excel. This is greatly preferable
to writing VBA!!

There are a couple of solutions. The first is ExcelDNA, which creates an
XLL extension object based on a .NET class library. The second solution
is Add-In express. Using the Add-in Express solution you can create any
type of excel extension that will call into your Python class library.
Though you might need to do some work to get everything to work out
properly. I have used both and I like both.

Christian