[IronPython] Informal Poll: measuring IronPython performance under x64 OSes

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Tue Aug 19 00:12:28 CEST 2008

Hi Dave,

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Dave Fugate <dfugate at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, one of the things the IronPython test team does daily is run a
> set of standardized benchmarks against the latest internal build of
> IronPython.  We're in the process of reevaluating the platforms we measure
> these benchmarks on with the end goal of increasing the number of tests we
> can run.  For example, if we could cut x64 Vista from the list of platforms,
> the x64 Vista machine(s) could be reimaged to run new benchmarks we wouldn't
> have had the resources for before.  Alternatively, we might reimage the x64
> Vista machine(s) as some other platform we don't currently test under.  Of
> course in such a scenario we'd still run other classifications of tests
> under x64 Vista.
>
> I wanted to hear peoples' opinions on the importance of measuring IronPython
> performance under x64 Windows OSes before we make any decisions on this.
> First off, how many people out there are actually running IronPython under a
> 64-bit OS?  Would it be sufficient for us to report news on IronPython
> performance in terms of 32-bit platforms?

While I am not running IronPythone *yet* on either 32 or 64 bit of
anything, we are working on porting some other python applications to
run on x64. One such application runs as a mix of ISAPI
Filter/Extension, and as such we learned that if IIS is running on
64-bit mode your ISAPI Filter/Extension must as well. I am not sure if
IronPython is affected by that too. I've also heard that some Server
2008 editions are 64-bit only too.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Enfold Systems http://enfoldsystems.com