[IronPython] Informal Poll: measuring IronPython performance under x64 OSes

Dan Eloff dan.eloff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 03:50:18 CEST 2008

I run IronPython on x64 Vista, but mostly only in Silverlight, which
correct me if I'm wrong, is 32bit only. So right now, I don't care
about x64 Vista. But when Silverlight runs in x64 it will matter to
me. There will probably be more x64 vista desktop users out there than
Mac and Linux combined by that time. I don't use IronPython in a
server context, I prefer to run linux servers with CPython, and
IronPython on Mono doesn't quite make the grade in my opinion (largely
the fault of Mono). But if I did, it would be x64, because I only use
x64 servers.

IMHO if you drop Vista x64 benchmarking, you'll have to bring it back
probably within the next two years, because x64 is the way of the
future. I'd be concerned that if you leave it completely alone you'll
have a lot of subtle x64 performance degrades happen over that time
frame, and not be competitive on x64 when it matters. But I suppose a
lot of it comes down to what you would do with those extra box(es) in
the meantime?

-Dan