[IronPython] IP 2 B5 and Thread.Sleep Warning

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Thu Aug 21 22:55:29 CEST 2008

It's a feature!

http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=16249

There was a moderately long thread about this back in April.  You can turn
the warning off either through Python's normal warning-disabling mechanism
or by running -X:MTA.  Or by doing as the warning suggests and calling
Thread.CurrentThread.Join().  Unfortunately, we don't have a reliable way to
identify whether or not the situation that prompted this warning has
occurred, or we'd take advantage of it. Given the potential for surprise
effects -- such as the person who originally reported this problem and was
seeing steadily climbing memory utilization in his process -- it seems to us
like a good warning to have.

As always, we're interested in hearing other points of view.