[IronPython] DLR, OS X/Linux & other languages

Miha Valencic miha.valencic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 20:31:47 CET 2008

Thanks for correcting me. So, how could I leverage the use of CoreCLR for OS
X/Linux... development? With c# or Iron*?

Actually, Desklets sound like the right solution. But with the same API
across all platforms. Something that Java "delivered" with Swing -- sort of.

A way to have a powerful (but at the same time lightweight (== not bloated))
framework/infrastructure, that enables you to write apps in the language of
your choice -- be it M, C#, VB, python, ruby or javascript (BTW, given that
a lot of web developers use javascript at their work, using managed jscript
for development has some interesting potential -- like VB).

Wouldn't it be cool to deliver developer tooling to support that? I could
leverage whatever language I am proficient in, I could leverage XAML for the
UI (hopefully the same on for desktop as for the web) and the software I
would write would run on most platforms and the ones that don't have the
"runtime", could get it with a quick download (like Silverlight).

It seems obvious to me that something like that is going to happen -- I'm
just wondering why it hasn't yet. Where is the missing link? If Miguel has
the tooling to run "Silverlight apps" on the desktop on Linux, I think they
could also run on Windows and/or MacOSX.

What about accessing functionality (BCL) which is not included in the
CoreCLR? Could I just reference (and add to deployment)
System.ServiceModel.dll assembly and have access to full WCF? (there are of
course other implications to that, but let's brainstorm for a minute)

Hey, Ironmen, what do you think?

Miha