[IronPython] DLR, OS X/Linux & other languages

Miha Valencic miha.valencic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 23:07:34 CET 2008

Keith,

you are right that what people have done with Vista gadgets interests me,
but usually (I didn't check how they did it though!) it involves
workarounds. Like the ones how they use Cardspace and WCF from gadgets... or
how they access Outlook, etc.

With regards to Desklets, the point is that you have two options: sandboxed
and "full access", which makes it very compelling, IMHO.

With regards to to "reduction" of the API: it is probably a philosophical
debate, but the point with reduction IMHO is not security or sandboxing, but
how to make the "framework or vritual engine" small and make it
"transferrable" to client computers with a fast download.

Sandboxing is absolutely necessary in the browser, but not on the desktop.
The point you make with SL vista gadgets though, makes me think about
something like clickonce for desklets - where you can cache the app for
offline usage, but when you're online, it launches (or at least checks for a
new version) from the remote server(s). (that would need security sandboxing
though).

So, a question to Ironmen and Silverlight guys (Jimmy et al?): is it
possible to somehow run Silverlight app as a desktop app on Windows?
Something like Desklets?

An ugly workaround I can think of at the moment would be a simple winforms
application which hosts a browser control which in turn loads a silverlight
application from a local system. (or maybe even starts a simple local-only
lightweight http server (like chiron or devserver) if it is not possible to
launch SL app from filesystem). That way, we could (could we really?) run
DLRConsle as a desktop app...

Miha