[IronPython] Exporting Python code as an assembly

Giles Thomas giles.thomas at resolversystems.com
Tue Feb 5 14:50:45 CET 2008

Would it be hugely tricky to get it working in IP 1.1 as well as 2.0, do
you think?  I'm imagining some kind of "--target:1.1" flag to the tool.

Michael Foord wrote:
> Curt Hagenlocher wrote:

>>> Great - you beat me to it. :-)
>>>
>>> If you make this open source then I'll be happy to help on it.
>>>

>> I'm thinking of putting it on Codeplex.  Be warned that I prefer ILGenerator to
>> CodeDOM, probably because I'm reliving the glory years of assembly language
>> programming. "6502 4eva!" :)
>>

> Ouch. :-)
>
> Although in my case it was 68000 forever (truly beautiful CPU - based
> appreciated inside an Amiga). I'd love to learn more about generating IL
> - although it does make the learning curve steeper (I have tinkered but
> nothing more).
>

>> The current implementation is written in Python.
>>

> I would recommend leaving it in Python unless you have compelling
> reasons to rewrite...
>
> I'm sure you will - but when you get it up on CodeDOM post an
> announcement here so that I can blog about it.
>
> This is great news as it fills one 'missing piece of the puzzle' when it
> comes to integrating IronPython with other .NET languages.
>
> Michael
>

>> --
>> Curt Hagenlocher
>> curt at hagenlocher.org

Giles Thomas
MD & CTO, Resolver Systems Ltd.
giles.thomas at resolversystems.com
+44 (0) 20 7253 6372

Try out Resolver One! <http://www.resolversystems.com/get-it/>
(Free registration required)

17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK