[IronPython] HybridMapping is full Error

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Feb 7 23:46:33 CET 2008

Dino Viehland wrote:
> It looks like there's an internal limit that prevents us from ever having more than 4096 PythonFile objects in existance.  Is it possible that you have that many file objects in existence that aren't getting freed?  Also just closing them won't be enough, they actually have to get collected by the GC.
>
> I don't think anything has actually changed here between 1.1 and 1.1.1 so it might just be hitting slightly different lifetimes.  But this limit does seem pretty stupid (and it's still in 2.0 as well apparently :( ).

Ok - but although 4096 sounds like a low *general* limit it should be
fine for us. We certainly always close our file handles - I wonder why
they wouldn't be garbage collected? Hmmm....

One of our devs did a great blog entry recently on tracing resource
leaks in IronPython applications:

http://blog.kamil.dworakowski.name/2008/02/debugging-memory-problems-in-ironpython.html

Michael Foord

Michael