[IronPython] Import xlrd

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Feb 13 21:25:38 CET 2008

Dino Viehland wrote:
> It seems like the simple answer is no – that version of IronPython is
> too old and has a bug which prevents xlrd from working.  The ASP.NET
> Futures package may have a recent enough version that it works.
>

> Using ASP.NET futures it should be as simple as doing a
> sys.path.append(‘location_of_xlrd’) then import xlrd and continue
> normally from there.

Dino, to cater for the possibility that xlrd imports CPython modules
that are not supported by IronPython, would be safer to add the Cpython
Lib directory to sys.path also?

Alternatively: xlrd uses "# coding: cp1252" only for "copyright" and
"trademark" symbols -- these could be ripped out.

Over to you, Praveen -- if you can demonstrate that you can write a
minimal aspx.py that imports a minimal_no_coding_declaration.py module
successfully, I'll ship you a version of xlrd with no "# coding: cp1252"
and no non-ASCII characters in the source files.

Cheers,
John