[IronPython] Slow Performance of CPython libs?

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Feb 21 17:28:50 CET 2008

Throwing exceptions is a whole lot slower.  But for what it's worth the cost of try/except though is much cheaper on IronPython if no exception is thrown.  Here's the exception results on PyBench.  Note these are actually results I happen to have on my machine from a while ago - but nothing's been done to change this part of the perf story in some time:

         TryExcept:    56ms     3ms +1938.4%    56ms     6ms +830.4%
    TryRaiseExcept:    88ms  2543ms  -96.6%    88ms  2556ms  -96.5%

Cpython took 88ms, IronPython took 2543ms.  And clearly throwing exceptions is quite expensive.