[IronPython] Difference in 1.1 and 2.0 with Dialog Result

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Jan 2 19:04:00 CET 2008

I think this is bug - .NET conventions say that enum's should generally have a zero value (FxCop CA1008 :)).  Because of that we can safely define __nonzero__ on enums and have that return true/false based upon if the value is zero/non-zero.  Otherwise Python says all expressions otherwise defined return true, which is the default behavior you're getting here.

This regression probably occurred when I was switching conversions over to using dynamic sites and actions.  The if (expr) is implemented as a conversion to bool and that of course is now returning true (just as bool(someEnum) always returns true now).

Interestingly enough neither v1.x or v2.0 have ever defined __nonzero__ on bool's - it's just that our "fast paths" (which have been slowly going away in v2.0) have caught this and done the right thing.  I've opened CodePlex bug #14605 to track the issue (http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=14605).  Thanks for the bug report!