[IronPython] [python] [IronPythonStudio] Namespace Classes and Assembly Files

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Jan 26 18:20:08 CET 2008

Pigneri, Rocco wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am new to Python, IronPython, and IronPythonStudio, but so far I am
> enjoying the functionality that IPS offers me.
>
> One thing that confuses me, however, is the namespace classes that IPS
> creates for me.  Let's say I create a Windows Forms project called
> Forms with a default form called FormOne.  FormOne is created in the
> Forms namespace while the Program.py file is placed in the Forms0
> namespace.

This is annoying (unpythonic) but is probably due to the way the CodeDom
works - it basically creates the equivalent IronPython to the C# it
would generate.

> I next add a new Form to the project by right-clicking on the project
> name in the Solution Explorer, and go to Add->New Item->Windows Form.
> I call this class FormTwo.  FormTwo is now placed in the Forms
> namespace as well.
>
> If I try to use the FormTwo class in the Program.py file (i.e. I would
> rather start up with FormTwo rather than FormOne), Forms.FormTwo()
> does not do the trick.  The debugger keeps reporting that the class is
> not found.  This also happens if I add "from FormTwo import *" to the
> top of the file.
>
> What am I doing wrong here?  I feel like I should be able to reference
> any class in an assembly/project from any class in the same
> assembly/project.  I have been able to get this to work by changing
> the namespace class in FormTwo.py, but I feel like that is the wrong
> approach.

Can you post the actual error you get? The import and reference you
posted should work, so the exact error will tell us what is going wrong.

Michael Foord
http://www.manning.com/foord