[IronPython] TypeLoadExceptions

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Tue Jul 8 01:57:11 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Curt Hagenlocher <curt at hagenlocher.org>
> wrote:
> > Have you gotten this while not running in the debugger?
>
> Hi Curt,
> I've had a chance to try it without the debugger, and I didn't get a
> TypeLoadException. I still get some errors, mind you, but they seem to
> be known issues (namely #15399, which is supposed to be fixed in
> 2.0b4).
>
> Any idea what this means?

It strongly suggests that there's a bug in the managed debugger.  It seems
to be triggered by the use of __slots__.  We generate a backing CLR class
that's templated for Python classes that contain __slots__, and some of
the methods on the class are themselves templated but with a different
template argument.  You can still debug the code with an unmanaged debugger
(ie windbg) but it's a significantly less friendly experience.

I haven't yet gotten around to reporting this to the managed debug folks, or
creating a smaller test case.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org