[IronPython] PyPy meets Jython (could meet IronPython too?)

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 14:06:21 CEST 2008

Michael Foord wrote:

> It would be great to see IronPython participate. A common set of
> language tests, written in pure Python, could greatly benefit IronPython.

I (we) agree.  Right now we have python compliance tests scattered all
over the places: there are cpython's regression tests, and both pypy and
jython has their own additional tests.  I bet IronPython is not
different here.

It would be great to have a set of tests that defines what you can
expect to be guaranteed from a python implementation, shared among all
the various projects.  Unfortunately I think we are all busy with other
things/priorities, so I don't expect this to happen very soon.

> Additionally, an implementation of ctypes for IronPython (using the .NET
> FFI and building on the PyPy work) would enable IronPython to use any of
> the extension modules developed for Python by PyPy. More and more
> standard library modules are implemented using ctypes now.

well, hopefully it would also enable pypy to run extension modules
implemented by others; don't let us doing all the boring work :-).

Apart from jokes, I think that it should be very easy to port ctypes to
ironpython that way: pypy's ctypes implementation is mostly written in
pure python as a wrapper around a tiny library called _rawffi, which
enables very low level interaction with external C libraries; so, it's
enough to implement _rawffi for IronPython and everything should just work.

And hopefully, we could even backport that _rawffi to pypy to have a
working ctypes for pypy-cli for free :-) (modulo license issues, which
in an ideal world would not be a blocker, but you never know).

ciao,
Anto