[IronPython] IronPython Post 2.0 Roadmap

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Mon Jul 21 18:44:11 CEST 2008

You can create your own attribute classes, for whatever markup.  Particularly since LINQ-to-*, where they often are used to annotate data classes with strings, etc (not references to types).

In any event, why does "availability of a static type" enter into this?  IP can access static types just as well as any other .NET language (System.Math comes to mind).  The motivation in general is to make IP a better producer for CLR types, rather than just a consumer, and attributes are an increasingly important thing to support.

As for expression trees and extension methods, those are to make IP a better consumer of a very important API (LINQ and the IQueryable stack from .NET 3.5).

To be honest, once those 3 features are available in IP, I think it would be on par with the mainstream languages in being very usable in an exclusive sense.