[IronPython] Announcing IronEditor - An Editor for IronRuby, IronPython and other DLR languages

Stefan Dobrev stefan.dobrev at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:09:58 CEST 2008

I have looked at the code. Some neat stuff. However my idea is that we can
leverage as much as we can from the DLR platform itself.

For example we can create our own editor and use the code sense and token
infrastructure for intellisense and syntax highlighting. I have a working
version of that implemented in WPF using its RichTextBox. Unfortunately the
RichTextBox DOM (FlowDocument) is too heavy for code editor and runs poorly.

We need a lightweight version of RichTextBox for code editor - our custom
control. It should also run on Silverlight as well. Expression Blend and
PowerShell v2 have implemented similar controls in WPF for their code
editing (Blend - XAML; PowerShell - cmdlet/script editing). So it can be
done.

Then we can build a lightweight IDE (like TextMate) for both Silverlight and
WPF with a transperant project model that works both on web and locally.

All this seems to be a perfect project for showcasing DLR API - architecture
and services as well as Silverlight / WPF.

Comments?

Regards,
Stefan