[IronPython] DLR IDE

Mitch Barnett mbarnett at uniserve.com
Fri Jul 25 19:00:07 CEST 2008

Hi Stefan,

Looks like fun, count me in!

Mitch

  _____

From: users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com
[mailto:users-bounces at lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Stefan Dobrev
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:39 PM
To: Discussion of IronPython; ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
Subject: [IronPython] DLR IDE

Hi all,

Wouldn't be nice if we all create a DLR IDE. I have being thinking for this
for quite some times recently. As usually happens someone else also has been
thinking of this and actually blogged about it here
<http://softwareindustrialization.com/WebbasedIDEsAndDynamicLanguagesOnNET.a
spx> . Saying:
---

So what's my point?  I think all of these projects are great and kudos to
the people that built them.  It takes a lot of time and effort above and
beyond just regular work hours. I have been there myself, my hats off to you
folks!  But, there are 8 versions of the interactive console and a few
versions of a basic code editor.  I know it may be a dream, but it would be
great to collaborate with these people and write out a simple set of
requirements for what a great DLR console and code editor would be.  And
then as a virtual team, implement it.

After all, to a large degree, it will be how well supported the language is
from a tools perspective that will really determine the rate of adoption.
And right now, the tools (or IDE) experience for Dynamic Languages on .NET
is severely lacking to the point of having several people independently
developing their own tooling.  In this post I only pointed out a handful of
these tools and I know there are others, but I was really targeting
web-based IDE's.  Maybe that is an opportunity?  Or is it a pipe dream?

---

So let's come together and build a difference.

I have made the first step and created a project on codeplex  -
http://codeplex.com/dlride. I have also written some basic requirements for
the project in the wiki. Let we all collaborate on them.

For everyone who want to take a part, please feel free to contact me, so I
can give you permissions for the project on codeplex.

Regards,
Stefan