[IronPython] Garbage collection of imported modules

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Fri Jul 25 20:14:44 CEST 2008

It's not just tied to debug because there's also performance reasons to generate it as an uncollectible type.  In 1.x there is a -X:GenerateAsSnippets command line option which forces the modules to be collectible (you could also programmatically set Options.GenerateModulesAsSnippets to true).

If you want to do this for someone off code I'd suggest using the built-in compile or execfile functions as they'll ensure the code is collectible.

In 2.0 the story is the same bug the command line option is -X:LightweightScopes.

We could consider adding another way to reload modules which would do so in a collectible manner (e.g. clr.ReloadModule) if necessary.