[IronPython] Distributing a commercial application which hosts IronPython 2

Angus Gratton angus at finalbuilder.com
Mon Jun 2 03:09:54 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

(Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to ask this question. I
searched the archives, but prior license discussions all seem to refer
to the old license.)

What is the "best" way to distribute a commercial application which
hosts IronPython 2? Is this even possible?

My original plan was just to require users to install IronPython first,
and reference the assemblies from the IronPython installation. However,
because IronPython doesn't install anything to the GAC, and because of
.NET Framework limitations about loading assemblies from outside the
AppDomain's base directory, this is impractical.

It doesn't seem like Silverlight installs anything to the GAC, either.

 From reading the MS Public License, it looks like it might be possible
to distribute the IronPython and DLR assemblies along with our
application, explicitly under the MS-PL. While concurrently the
commercial/proprietary parts of the application (including our hosting
code) are distributed under our closed license. Is that correct? I can't
seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Are there any examples of how to
correctly structure a license agreement, in this case?

I would very much like to allow people to use IronPython from our
application (I'm very impressed with both the language implementation,
the performance, and the hosting API), I'm just unsure how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,

Angus Gratton