[IronPython] Talk to Python script from C# app...

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jun 12 00:19:16 CEST 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Bob Rosembob
<brosembob at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
> I have a C# application and a 3rd party Python script that the application should run. The script is called periodical with some arguments, performs some calculations and returns the results. I'm running Vista & VS2005.
>
> What should I do to run the script from my application? I assume I need to install IronPython on my PC. How exactly should I do it?

The FIRST question to ask is whether this is really an IronPython
script, or is it just a traditional C Python script, and you happened to
come here because a Google search intersected "python" and "managed" and
sent you here?  At this point, the vast majority of "3rd party Python
scripts" are C Python scripts.

If the script uses modules that are common to both implementations, then
you could use either one.  If the script needs C/C++ modules, or
standard library routines that aren't part of IronPython, then you might
need to download and install a traditional Python distribution and use
System.Process to launch it.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.