[IronPython] Python in the Browser Project Page

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 15:33:14 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I've setup a project page for "Python in the Browser", an interactive
Python interpreter that runs in an HTML textarea.

http://code.google.com/p/pythoninthebrowser/

There's no download yet, but I have checked in the current code.

"Python in the Browser" is an interactive Python interpreter that runs
in the browser, using Silverlight 2 and IronPython?.

This is ideal for tutorials and documentation, where example Python code
can actually be tried in the browser.

It requires Silverlight 2 Beta 2, and the Python version is 2.5.

The interpreter runs in an HTML textarea, with Javascript that
communicates with Silverlight and prevents you deleting text from the
console except after the interactive prompt.

Target browsers are Firefox 2 & 3, Safari and IE 7. (Although reports on
compatibility with other browsers welcomed.)

Currently it 'works' but is at an early stage of development.

The project is a combination of IronPython? (for the interpreter loop),
Javascript (for the 'console behaviour' in the textarea) and C# (as a
helper to call into Silverlight from Javascript).

I've entered the known issues at:

http://code.google.com/p/pythoninthebrowser/issues/list

There is a live example at:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/silverlight-console/console.html

I'm not sure how quickly I will be able to develop this (I have a book
to finish!), but it should be very easy to knock out a couple of the
simpler issues quickly.

If you want to contribute then please post patches to the issue tracker.

Michael Foord

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.theotherdelia.co.uk/