[IronPython] The slow part of IronPython

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Jun 25 02:28:11 CEST 2008

There's a couple of plans a foot.  We have been working on a pre-compilation feature like .pyc for IronPython 2.0  It's actually in Beta 3 but unfortunately it doesn't quite work yet which is the reason we haven't said anything.  It will be there (and working!) in beta 4.  That's the short term solution but unfortunately it won't really work with Silverlight - there's no way to compile against the Silverlight mscorlib from the desktop CLR and Silverlight doesn't support saving assemblies to disk.

Another option which generally reduces compilation cost, but still not enough, is to use the -X:LightweightScopes command line option.  But again that's not available in Silverlight :(.  We may switch to using this mode by default at some point in the future but it needs a little more tuning - right now there's a noticeable difference between throughput perf in the two modes.

Longer term we'd like to leverage the interpreter mode.  This would result in importing a module initially just bringing up the Python AST for the module and then interpreting that until methods start getting called frequently.  The bulk of the import time is going to compilation so doing this would fix a huge amount of the problem.  Unfortunately we probably won't get to that for IronPython 2.0 as we're mostly focused on a few final DLR changes and then lots of bug fixing.