[IronPython] DLR question

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Fri Jun 27 02:01:46 CEST 2008

The short answer to this is yes.  But there's a longer answer too :)

First off, it's not like you're going to be able to do:

class MyPythonClass(object):
    def MyPythonFunc(self): pass
    def MyRubyFunc
    end

or anything like that.  There's also no plans to support subclassing because generally the type systems are just too different.  But you can monkey patch all you want.  So you could do:

class MyPythonClass(object): pass

then in Ruby:

MyPythonClass.someFunc = someProcOrBlockOrWhateverThoseRubyGuysDo

And you could get crazy with metaclasses or other such magic to make this more seamless.

The other part of the long answer is that this doesn't necessarily work today - I'm actually not sure whether it does or not today.  We're actually in the process of finalizing the interop protocol right now and when that's done and all the languages have adopted the new protocol we'll start testing this and ensuring we have good interop.