[IronPython] IronPython and Silverlight 2

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Mar 9 21:03:52 CET 2008

Dino Viehland wrote:
> Hand rolling XML manifest files is really just create one and re-use
> it all over the place.  This is what it typically looks like:
>
> <Deployment
> xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/client/2007/deployment"
> xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
> RuntimeVersion="2.0.30226.00"
> EntryPointAssembly="Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight"
> EntryPointType="Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight.DynamicApplication">
>   <Deployment.Parts>
>     <!-- Add additional assemblies here -->
>     <AssemblyPart Name="Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight"
> Source="Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight.dll" />
>     <AssemblyPart Source="Microsoft.Scripting.dll" />
>     <AssemblyPart Source="IronPython.dll" />
>     <AssemblyPart Source="IronPython.Modules.dll" />
>   </Deployment.Parts>
> </Deployment>
>
> Drop that in a .ZIP file w/ the python file and those DLLs and rename
> it .xap.  Unfortunately I don't believe there's a way to just deploy a
> .py file.  The current model is you have the manfiest which points at
> DynamicApplication and that in turn loads the language and
> subsequently the .py file.
>
> Somehow the referred assemblies can be somewhere else as well but I'm
> not sure what that looks like.

Ok. I've been playing with manifest files and still can't use the extra
controls. See separate email.

Can you confirm that (as far as you know) this means that *every*
IronPython Silverlight application has to send the IronPython dlls. Plus
if I want to make the standard library available (for a Python
interactive interpreter for example) then I have to package the *whole*
standard library in the 'xap' file?

This is instead of the previous model (fro Silverlight 1.1) where
assemblies and Python files would only be fetched from the server if
they were actually needed. If what I have just said is true then the new
model is *massively* inferior in my opinion.

It is also ironic that Jim Hugunin and John Lam (in Mix 07) made much of
how the great advantages of working with dynamic languages for
Silverlight is that they can be deployed as text. Now of course they
need to be 'compiled' with a custom tool (chiron) and deployed in this
compiled form - and not deployed as text...

Feel free to pass my comments on to those who made these decisions (I'm
well aware it isn't you Dino)... On the other hand I may be wrong (and
would be both delighted and apologetic).

Michael Foord
http://www.manning.com/foord