[IronPython] [AVG SPAM] inheriting from "base" generic type

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Mon Mar 17 18:31:47 CET 2008

The short answer is yes, it runs.  The long answer is only 0.96.1 will run on IronPython 2.0 Beta 1 but there are some small issues:
1. You need a database provider (check out http://blogs.msdn.com/dinoviehland/archive/2008/03/17/ironpython-ms-sql-and-pep-249.aspx for my quick and dirty version of this).  The default DB providers don't run on IronPython because they rely on C extension modules.
2. There's a couple of fixes required to the SQL to run against MS SQL.  If you were to run against another DB this wouldn't be an issue.  The two tweaks I've made there are removing LIMIT 1 from one SQL call (by calling the backend function to generate limit syntax) and removing microseconds before sending off a DB query (same as MySQL).  Note this isn't an incompatibility between IronPython and CPython, just a DB difference.
3. Binary files from the static view don't successfully get downloaded.  This is due to a Unicode encoding issue (this is a simple 3 line fix of tracking the content type and only doing the encoding if necessary).  This is the only real incompatibility and is due to us not having ASCII strings - only Unicode.  This might not be an issue w/ a real web server though.  Also once Py3k comes out and both Django and IronPython update to it this issue will go away because the bytes type will be used instead of a string.
4. Along the lines of #3 I've only tried running the development server, there's no integration with a real DB server - this might be trivial to do though, I just haven't tried it yet.

I'm looking at the latest and greatest version from SVN now and there's a few issues there.  These are mostly known bugs but I'm fixing them as I encounter them:
               nt.access is missing
               traceback's don't get created when catching from the same function that throws
               ?, I'm stuck at the traceback issue right now :)

Once I get the latest and greatest running I want to start running through the test suite to see if any other issues are lurking.  Unfortunately we need doctest support for that which means we need sys.settrace, so there's some more work to be done.