[IronPython] IPCE: getting started

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Fri Mar 21 03:43:22 CET 2008

IPCE users,

Just getting started with IPCE and wondering about the current state of
things. I'm trying to get started with some Windows.Forms testing, and
wanted to use the most modern version which is stable. I'm using IPCE-r7
under Fedora 8. Here's my setup, followed by some issues:

$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 1.2.5.1 (tarball)
Copyright (C) 2002-2007 Novell, Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC)
        SIGSEGV:       normal
        Architecture:  x86
        Disabled:      none
$ pwd
/home/dblank/fepy/IPCE/IronPython-2.0A7/Tutorial
$ mono ~/Desktop/IPCE-r7/ipy2/ipy.exe
IronPython console: IronPython 2.0A5 (2.0.11011.00) on .NET 2.0.50727.42

1) I can't seem to import random:

>>> import random

** ERROR **: file mini.c: line 3897 (mono_method_to_ir): assertion failed:
(!sig->has_type_parameters)
aborting...
Stacktrace:

  at IronPython.NewTypes.IronPython.Modules.Random_1.GetRule
(Microsoft.Scripting.Actions.DynamicAction,Microsoft.Scripting.CodeContext,object[])
<0xffffffff>

This works with IPCE-r7/ipy/ipy.exe. Do I need a more modern mono? Or is
there another issue?

2) I'd use 1.1, but it doesn't seem to load Windows.Forms:

$ mono ~/Desktop/IPCE-r7/ipy/ipy.exe
IronPython 1.1 (1.1) on .NET 2.0.50727.42
>>> import clr
>>> clr.AddReference('System.Windows.Forms')
>>> from System.Windows.Forms import Application, Button, Form
>>> form = Form()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File System.Drawing, line unknown, in .cctor
  File System.Drawing, line unknown, in .ctor
  File System.Drawing, line unknown, in .ctor
  File System.Drawing, line unknown, in InitFromStream
  File System.Windows.Forms, line unknown, in .cctor
  File System.Windows.Forms, line unknown, in GetResource
  File mscorlib, line unknown, in GetObject
  File mscorlib, line unknown, in GetObject
  File mscorlib, line unknown, in GetObject
  File mscorlib, line unknown, in ReadResources
  File mscorlib, line unknown, in get_Value
  File mscorlib, line unknown, in ResourceValue
  File mscorlib, line unknown, in ReadValueVer1
  File mscorlib, line unknown, in ReadNonPredefinedValue
SystemError: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for
System.Windows.Forms.Form

3. I tried to build from svn sources, but the build.sh looks unmaintained:
 a. it stopped due to missing ../website/license.html (I made one)
 b. python-irclib-0.4.6.tar.gz was missing (I downloaded it)

4. If there is a README (or a wiki) for IPCE I would read it... and even
contribute to it!

Any pointers appreciated!

-Doug

--