[IronPython] Question about serialization

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Mar 25 14:12:02 CET 2008

Paul Turbett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using IP as a scripting engine in a C# app. I have various Python
> classes that derive from a C# base class, and have there own additional
> data & functionality.
>
> I would like to be able to serialize instances of the Python classes
> from the C# host for persistence across sessions. Using the standard
> BinaryFormatter with the Serializable attribute is not working - I get
> an error about the python class not being marked as serializable (the C#
> base class is marked as serializable though).
>
> How can I serialize python objects from C#? Should I use reflection to
> roll my own serializer, or is there something in one of the lesser
> documented assemblies like Ops I should use?

Typically for serializing Python objects you would use pickle [1]. The
'dumps' function returns a string (make sure you use the text protocol
for IronPython).

You could then execute code inside the Python engine to serialize /
deserialize objects. I've not tried this for instances that inherit from
C# base classes - but it should work fine. :-)

Michael Foord
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com

.. [1] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-pickle.html