[IronPython] Semi-blocking bug in IP 2B1

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 18:03:35 CEST 2008

Curt Hagenlocher wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Michael Foord
> <michael.foord at resolversystems.com> wrote:
>
>> In general, error reporting/tracebacks seem to be much worse in
>> IronPython 2. If I have time I will try and produce a repro...
>>

> If you run with a -D flag, you get much better error reporting.  This
> is equivalent to setting (ScriptRuntime).GlobalOptions.DebugMode =
> true in a hosting scenario.
>
> (Thanks to Jimmy Schementi's post on the IronRuby list for pointing me at this.)

Ok - and thanks. But we generate and execute code at runtime and need
good error reporting for our users. If there is a performance
implication we wouldn't want to have to set this flag just to be able to
give our users useful tracebacks! The IP traceback handling is generally
fine for us - but I haven't *confirmed* that IP 2 is worse - it just
feels worse...

We have bigger problems anyway. Now I have ironed out the obvious
problems, Resolver One runs on IP 2 but the user interface is completely
broken. That is all pure-Python code so I have some digging to do... :-)

Michael