[IronPython] Extension methods in python

Marty Nelson Marty.Nelson at symyx.com
Thu Nov 6 00:58:58 CET 2008

>> If it's an object defined in Python you can usually attach methods
directly to the object or it's Python type.

So how would this work?

Let's say I had injested a variable into the scope from c#:
scope.SetVarialble("widget", "hello world")

Can I do something in python so that I can then type:

print widget.ToFoo()

print widget.ToBar()

That would theoretically output:

hello worldFoo

hello worldBar

 But otherwise we have no support for automatically adding .NET
extension methods to existing types currently.  It is a frequent request
and we will probably get to it at some point.