[IronPython] IronPython 1.1.2 and overloaded or generic methods

Jason Galyon jtgalyon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 02:42:56 CET 2008

Howdy,
I am new to IronPython with absolutely no knowledge yet of .NET/CLR.
I am trying to use IronPython with a new API from a particular system
where the methods are overloaded as you can see below from the
interactive prompt.
How do I call a particular method with the signature I want?

Secondary question is whether there will ever be a more Pythonic way of
dealing with these?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Jason

IronPython 1.1.2 (1.1.2) on .NET 2.0.50727.3053
... add reference and importing ...
 >>> rancore.Repository.ElementRepository.CreateAdapterForPath.Overloads
<IronPython.Runtime.Calls.BuiltinFunctionOverloadMapper object at
0x000000000000
0030 [{'T CreateAdapterForPath[T](str path)': <built-in function
CreateAdapterFo
rPath>, 'T CreateAdapterForPath[T](str path, int timeout)': <built-in
function C
reateAdapterForPath>}]>

rancore.Repository.ElementRepository.CreateAdapterForPath[str].Overloads[str
]('/form[@title="System\ Requirements\ -\ Mozilla')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File , line 0, in <stdin>##79
ValueError: GenericArguments[0], 'System.String', on 'T
CreateAdapterForPath[T](
System.String)' violates the constraint of type 'T'.