[IronPython] Feature Request: Zipimport builtin module

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Nov 15 18:17:14 CET 2008

Hello guys,

In order to use projects like Turbogears with IronPython (I'm at a
Turbogears sprint) we need setuptools to work. In order for setuptools to
work we need zipimport - which is a builtin module in Python.

The Jython guys have setuptools working... (only the Genshi package is
blocking Turbogears from working on Jython.)

Having setuptools working on IronPython is becoming increasingly important
as it becomes the standard distribution and installation mechanism for
Python packages.

I'm looking at a pure Python version of zipimport (provided by Guido for use
on the AppEngine). It doesn't work unmodified but should be easy enough to
get working as a stopgap measure. I've added a comment to codeplex issue
391:

http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=391

Michael Foord

--