[IronPython] Use of sys.exit

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Nov 19 21:25:43 CET 2008

Marty Nelson wrote:

> We have users writing extension scripts that execute from C#, and may
> be called multiple times (for example, hooked up to a Change event of
> some object or event in the main application)
>

> Is sys.exit(1) an acceptable way for them to exit the script (used
> like an early return in C#)?  Is there a better way?  Does it do
> anything to the ScriptScope that is reused?

It would seem acceptable - it raises the SystemExit exception which your
hosting application would need to catch and ignore.

A better structured way (in my opinion) would be to use a procedural or
object oriented approach in the scripts and allow them to terminate
normally.

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog