[IronPython] in operator calls __getitem__ on class that has __len__ and __iter__ defined

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Nov 20 17:30:49 CET 2008

Interesting, the docs would seem to indicate our behavior is correct:

For user-defined classes which do not define __contains__() and do define __getitem__(), x in y is true if and only if there is a non-negative integer index i such that x == y[i], and all lower integer indices do not raise IndexError exception. (If any other exception is raised, it is as if in raised that exception).

If and only if is pretty strong language ☺  But we can start looking for __iter__ after looking for __contains__.