[IronPython] Using IronPython AST

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 8 23:26:19 CEST 2008

You're right on #1 - for other nodes you could also look at how the parser creates them (or ask if there's something particularly tricky).

For #2 there isn't a good way to do this right now.  You could cheat and do it with private reflection for the time being.  First you need to create a PythonAst object (no problem, it's public).  That will hold onto the tree you created and lets you control some knobs on how the code gen will proceed.  You just need to call PythonNameBinder.BindAst(ast, compilerContext) (which is internal so reflection use #1) and then ast.TransformToAst (also internal, reflection use #2) which will return you a DLR LambdaExpression.  From there you could go to the DLR and ask them to compile the lambda (Expression<T>.Compile) or you could produce a ScriptCode object for it which you can run.  The way we produce a ScriptCode once we have the lambda is:

            if ((pythonOptions.Module & ModuleOptions.Optimized) != 0) {
                return new OptimizedScriptCode(lambda, sourceUnit);
            } else {
                // TODO: fix generated DLR ASTs
                lambda = new GlobalLookupRewriter().RewriteLambda(lambda);
                return new ScriptCode(lambda, sourceUnit);
            }

And you can basically do the same thing.  The 1st path will leak memory if you're doing it repeatedly so you probably want the re-write & normal ScriptCode.

We could probably do a little refactoring to expose this functionality onto PythonAst so that you can just new one of those up and get a ScriptCode back but it seems too much like a feature for it to make 2.0 at this point.

On #3 unfortunately I didn't get our CodeDom code generator into 2.0 in time so it'll wait for the next release - mainly because I didn't have a chance to port the v1.0 tests forward.  But it's pretty easy to grab it from the v1.1 sources and update it as our AST hasn't changed very much.