[IronPython] Announcing IronPython 2.0 VS10 CTP

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Mon Oct 27 23:47:37 CET 2008

Sixteen months ago, Eric Lippert wrote:
"Second, this raises the question of whether C# ought to support some of the
dynamic features which languages like JScript, Ruby, Python, etc, support.
The VB team's motto as far as this question is concerned has always been
early binding when possible, late binding when necessary.  The C# team, by
contrast, has always cleaved to the principle that we do early binding when
possible, late binding when the user explicitly writes umpteen dozen of
lines of ugly reflection code."
[
http://blogs.msdn.com/ericlippert/archive/2007/06/21/calling-static-methods-on-type-variables-is-illegal-part-three.aspx
]

Philosophically, this is basically still true -- you have to explicitly
opt-in to the dynamic behavior.  What's changed is that we've written those
"umpteen dozen of lines of ugly reflection code" for you.

As for the feature list being underwhelming, there are undoubtedly many
people who take the opposite position -- that the language is evolving far
too quickly for them to assimilate.  And in truth, I can't think of a
programming language with C#'s rate of adoption which has evolved as quickly
or as radically as C# has.