[IronPython] -X:SaveAssemblies

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Fri Sep 5 22:21:23 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 1:18 PM, KE <hellosticky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> -X:SaveAssemblies is for debugging purposes and does not produce
>> output equivalent to that produced by pyc.py.
> Okay, but my question still stands of whether or not part or all of the
> function of pyc.py should be moved into the DLR (obviously with some virtual
> methods for implementers)?

The bulk of the compiler code is actually in the DLR and in IronPython
itself.  pyc.py is a user-friendly wrapper around that functionality.
There's no reason you couldn't use pyc.py to compile itself, if you
wanted to distribute it in a binary form.

If you've got a real-world scenario that you don't think we've
adequately addressed, you'll need to provide more information before
we can understand the shortcomings of this approach.

Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org