[IronPython] Main Utility of IronPython?

curtin@acm.org brian.curtin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 23:35:32 CEST 2009

I guess I don't really have a primary usage other than tinkering around,
mostly. I'm looking to change that, though; my company has a great need for
automated testing on one of our GUI applications, something I suspect others
are probably in need of in environments like ours (C/C++ servers, C# GUI
clients).

I work on the server side and have a bunch of C extensions to expose our
APIs to CPython (and IronPython via IronClad for tinkering on the side), but
the GUI app that consumes my server's data is lacking in automation. A lot
of the testing is still too manual intensive and time consuming. Michael
Foord gave a good talk on functional testing of GUIs at PyCon which gave me
that "aha!" moment. I've studied the details on his site [1] and am looking
forward to helping that GUI team make use of something along those lines to
make their lives easier, and make our software of a higher quality.
**
As for what IronPython's niche is and will be? I'm not sure what it is now,
but with the way Microsoft is pushing the pedal to the metal on dynamic
languages, it could be anything in the future. Once this stuff is installed
with Visual Studio I suspect it's all going to explode through the roof.

Brian

[1] http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/testing/index.shtml