[IronPython] InteractiveCode and function definitions

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Apr 16 19:36:19 CEST 2009

Curt Hagenlocher wrote:
> "IncompleteStatement" means that the user is allowed to type more
> code.  If you want to know whether or not it's a valid (complete)
> string, just check for it not being Invalid.  A function definition is
> never "complete" in Python because there's never a terminating curly
> brace :).

But that isn't sufficient to implement an interactive interpreter on top
of. This code conceptually is complete as far as an interactive
interpreter is concerned:

    'def f():\n  print 1\n\n'

It also means you can't distinguish between the previous kind of
incomplete (which is incomplete because the user *could* type more code)
and this kind of incomplete:

    'a = """'

or:

Which are both incomplete because the user *must* type more code.
(Although the latter two give IncompleteToken - I wonder if that would
be enough.)

Because of the other IronPython bugs we can't use the code module and
ScriptSource / ScriptParseResult doesn't give sufficient information.
Any other ideas?

Michael